It was an awesome weekend at Mission as we celebrated our 5th birthday and tons of people going public with their faith through baptism! Enjoy celebrating those things as a group this week!
3 THINGS to KNOW ABOUT FACILITATING DISCUSSIONS
- Silence is necessary
- Silence after asking a question can be stressful and get you worried, but it's actually very necessary. It's most often people's first time thinking about the question, and it's usually pretty personal! To be safe, give people more time than you think you should... don't jump in and save them too early!
- You're allowed to (and probably should) repeat the question
- People's responses can take a few minutes... and sometimes, they get a bit removed from the original question. And sometimes, the conversation needs a quick restart. The simplest trick is just to ask the question again! No rephrasing, no new question, just open it back up to everyone by repeating it - give people time to let it marinate!
- Good facilitators enforce the rules
- The biggest role we play in our conversations is not re-teaching content, having the best insight, or making all the right jokes (my personal tendency...); it's keeping the room safe. And the boundaries for safety are found in the group statement we read each week! So when people step outside of the bounds of those ground rules, it's always worth it to redirect, correct, and keep the room safe for people to be fully known and fully loved.
happy birthday mission!
This weekend marked our 5th birthday as a church, and we celebrated with a pretty different style service! If you weren't there, THIS is the week to catch it on video at missionventura.com/podcast.
And a special heads up for Mission Group Leaders - all the video stories from this weekend are included in the message notes section of the Discussion Guide. Lots of the questions deal pretty specifically with the videos, which have pretty unique themes. Take a look through before and see where you might want to focus your conversation - and you may want to watch a video together, especially if several people didn't get there this weekend!
Another MOBILe App... But this time it's Mission's!
Mission has a mobile App! This new tool is a great way to get connected, share prayer requests, keep up to date about what is coming up at Mission, set up giving, watch and listen to messages and more all from your mobile phone!
After you download, for future ease and functionality, make sure to...
- enable push notifications
- create a quick profile
Download the app now by texting the word “app” to (805) 250-4825 or clicking the image.