CLICK ON AN EVENT TO GET MORE INFO!
This MONDAY, you received an email invitation to right now media!
Right Now Media is the "Netflix" of video Bible studies! It has over 10,000 videos, including categories like...
- marriage and parenting
- men and women
- faith at work and leadership
- Christian living
- Biblical finance
- over 2,000 Christian cartoons for kids!
- and TONS more!
OUR HOPE IS THAT RIGHT NOW MEDIA WILL BE AN INVALUABLE RESOURCE FOR YOU, YOUR FAMILY, AND YOUR GROUPS THIS SUMMER AND BEYOND.
Right Now Media our gift to you, completely FREE! You should have already received an email invite on Thursday, June 2 - just create your free account form that email, and you are ready to start! Download the app from your iOS or Android App Store, and start streaming right away. If you don’t think you received an email invite, let me know - I will make sure you get a new one right away!
We are a group of imperfect people pursuing a perfect God. We exist to help each other find and follow Christ. These are some things we want to be true of our group:
- We create a safe and honest environment, staying transparent and authentic.
- We keep it inside the circle. Confidentiality is necessary for a healthy group.
- We look together to the Bible for help and guidance, and keep out our own politics, sales, or agendas.
- We do not try to fix each other, preach sermons, or give unsolicited advice. We instead encourage, listen to, and celebrate each other.
- We handle conflict between us quickly and honestly by going to the person, owning our part, and practicing forgiveness.
- We respect each others’ time by starting and ending when we say we will.
- We trust that it is God’s role to change people, not ours.
- We believe that in Jesus Christ, there is hope for everyone.
Relationships are a part of all of our lives. They can bring us great joy as well as pain. Single, dating, married, engaged, divorced, raising kids, or navigating friendship, in this series we will learn together principles from the Bible that have the potential to help us all discover some healthy relationship goals.
Mike Hickerson started out series by talking about
- What's your funniest/strangest first date story?
- What's your relationship story up to this point? How have you gotten to where you are now?
- Mike talked a lot about why it's difficult to date well today. What did you resonate with? How has dating well been difficult for you?
Read Psalm 1:1-3 together.
1 Blessed is the man who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, 2 but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. 3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither - whatever they do prospers.
- The company we keep, the context we put ourselves in, has a lot to do with our walk with God. How have you seen this apply to your dating life?
- Mike said that even though the Bible doesn't have much to say about dating, it has a lot to say about who we are becoming. What makes it hard to focus more on who we are becoming than who we are looking for?
- Mike said that when it comes to the"who they are" of dating, we need to focus on character over characteristics. How have you seen the search for the right characteristics, not character, go wrong? What aspects of character that Mike talked about stuck out to you?
- Mike walked us through some principles for how can date well, like... moving forward slowly, having fun and adventure, not losing our individual identity, and dating with respect/honesty/boundaries. How would some of these principles change the way you date/dated?
- Have you ever seen the triangle that Mike talked about, where husband and wife become closer as they move toward God together? What are some ways that you've seen that happen? How can you make that happen in your context right now?
- What's your next step toward healthy relationships? What principles or values would change how you do relationships right now?
- Andy Stanley
“This PRESENT will become your PAST, which will be PRESENT in your FUTURE”
Dating is so difficult today because...
- We think single = a “less than” life
- ”Right Person” myth
- We think characteristics not character
- Blurred Lines
#relationshipgoals for dating
WHO I AM
Blessed is the man who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, 2 but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. 3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither - whatever they do prospers.
- I’m becoming the right person
***Become the person the person you’re looking for is looking for.
- I don’t “need” to date
- I know the Mission of my life
- I will date great
WHO THEY ARE
She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. 26 She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. 27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. 28 Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 29 “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” 30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. 31 Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
- Their life: They love God and love people
- They have Solid Character
- We are friends
- We have Chemistry
- They Respect Me
HOW WE DATE
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance
- We will have God at the center
- We will move forward sowly
- We will have fun and adventure
- We won’t lose our individual identity
- We will date with respect
- We will date with honesty
- We will date with boundaries (Time, Emotions, Physical Intimacy)