We read this statement together before every group discussion! It helps transition the group to discussion time, it reaffirms our highest values, and sets a tone of trust, consistency, and safety for everyone in the group.
We are a group of imperfect people pursuing a perfect God. We exist to help each other find and follow Christ. These are some things we want to be true of our group:
- We create a safe and honest environment, staying transparent and authentic.
- We keep it inside the circle. Confidentiality is necessary for a healthy group.
- We look together to the Bible for help and guidance, and keep out our own politics, sales, or agendas.
- We do not try to fix each other, preach sermons, or give unsolicited advice. We instead encourage, listen to, and celebrate each other.
- We handle conflict between us quickly and honestly by going to the person, owning our part, and practicing forgiveness.
- We respect each others’ time by starting and ending when we say we will.
- We trust that it is God’s role to change people, not ours.
- We believe that in Jesus Christ, there is hope for everyone.
- If this is your first session together as a group, or you've got new additions, spend some time getting to know each other! How'd you find Mission? How long have you been around? What made you want to get into a group?
- What is one thing you would want the group to know about you or your life right now?
The videos this session set up a closing discussion in group and preview the homework we do in the coming week.
- From page 11... How did Angie’s experience of feeling lost or stupid trying to study the Bible resonate with you? What have been your own challenges in studying the Bible?
- What do you hope to gain as you get to know your group better and study with each other in the coming weeks?
- As a group, how can you help one another avoid discouragement and feeling overwhelmed, and stay accountable to stick it out for the whole session?
- What are some steps you can take this week to make space for this study each day? What might have to change or move around to make it happen?
Week 1: pages 12-31
We'll start next week's group by discussing Week 1's homework. Just do what you can and don't stress... it's meant to be quality time spent with God, not something to be simply checked off the to-do list!