- Can you believe John's dad locked the screen door on him? Can you relate to his story, or is it hard for you to imagine having that experience?
We are a group of imperfect people pursuing a perfect God. We exist to help each other find and follow Christ. These are some things we want to be true of our group:
We create a safe and honest environment, staying transparent and authentic.
We keep it inside the circle. Confidentiality is necessary for a healthy group.
We look together to the Bible for help and guidance, and keep out our own politics, sales, or agendas.
We do not try to fix each other, preach sermons, or give unsolicited advice. We instead encourage, listen to, and celebrate each other.
We handle conflict between us quickly and honestly by going to the person, owning our part, and practicing forgiveness.
We respect each others’ time by starting and ending when we say we will.
We trust that it is God’s role to change people, not ours.
We believe that in Jesus Christ, there is hope for everyone.
You set the tone
When it comes to the level of sharing in your group, you lead the way. Whatever tone you set as the leader, your people will follow! Even if they don't right away, you set the bar.
That's a lot of pressure! Don't set the bar too low, never sharing anything personal or challenging. But don't set it too high either! Don't air all your dirty laundry before everyone is ready, or else they'll feel like they can't share anything if it's not that intense!
The goal is to create a safe place where your people can hear the words "me too" when they decide to share something that is personal.
Most of these questions are also in your SEVEN book, but you may find extras or additions here.
- How was your dad similar to or different from John's dad? How would you describe your relationship with him?
- Talk about a high point or low point in your life. How does that event affect your life today, and the man that you've become?
- Do you agree it's important to go back into your story in order to go forward? Why or why not?
- What are some of the POSITIVE defining relationships in your life, either past or present? Have you ever thanked that person for being
- What are some of the NEGATIVE defining relationships in your life, either past or present? What do you need to do to either make peace with them or change them?
Question 3: Who Am I?
Use the last 15 minutes of group to ask if anyone has any prayer requests and close in prayer. Send around the prayer requests out to the group so everyone can be praying throughout the week.