We are a group of imperfect people pursuing a perfect God. We exist to help each other find and follow Christ. These are some things we want to be true of our group:
We create a safe and honest environment, staying transparent and authentic.
We keep it inside the circle. Confidentiality is necessary for a healthy group.
We look together to the Bible for help and guidance, and keep out our own politics, sales, or agendas.
We do not try to fix each other, preach sermons, or give unsolicited advice. We instead encourage, listen to, and celebrate each other.
We handle conflict between us quickly and honestly by going to the person, owning our part, and practicing forgiveness.
We respect each others’ time by starting and ending when we say we will.
We trust that it is God’s role to change people, not ours.
We believe that in Jesus Christ, there is hope for everyone.
- Describe a time in your life that you felt most free.
Chapter Recap of Demolishing Strongholds
Beth Moore wrote Living Free as a response to learning that Christians were struggling with mighty powerful strongholds. The definition of a stronghold is on page 11, "anything that exalts itself in our minds pretending to be bigger or more powerful than our God." A stronghold comes from false ideas, lies or deceptions and they steal our focus away from God. Chapter one teaches us how to demolish strongholds.
- Flipping through Week One’s homework on Demolishing Strongholds, what stuck out to you the most? Why do you think it had an impact on you?
- From Day One, page 8... Describe a time when God kept you safe.
- From Day Two, page 12... Why do you think the battlefield is the mind rather than actions?
- From Day Three, page 17... Can you cite some other examples when God acted in ways opposite to what humans naturally expect?
- From Day Four, page 23... How is intimacy with God different from the goal of being good enough to be acceptable to God? And What do you think Scripture means by taking “captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ?”
- From Day Five, page, 26... In what areas of your life do you need God’s power?
The videos this session preview the homework that you'll do over the next week. Watch them after your discussion! They are all about 15 minutes long.
The videos are on Vimeo, so you can watch them by connecting your computer to your TV with an HDMI cable, or by using a simple casting device like a Chromecast, Roku Stick, Amazon Fire TV Stick, or Apple TV!
To Know God and Believe Him (pages 31-49)
Use the last 15 minutes of group to ask if anyone has any prayer requests and close in prayer. Send around the prayer requests out to the group so everyone can be praying throughout the week.